PAG logo

Google

A Note From the Shed

by

Peter Gibbs

Yes its true I am writing from the shed as my other computer had a hissy fit so it's back to old reliable, this one runs the programs for the lathe and mill

So what has happened since last PAG Newsletter No. 29 - well it's been that long since we had one that I had to go back and read it … It seems I promised to share with you my solution for a PCV valve and catch can. The PCV valve I borrowed from a Honda car nice little compact one that operates at under 3 psi, and how do I know it's under 3 psi well I blew and sucked through it and as my lung capacity is no more than about 3psi I figured it would be ok.

The catch can had me tossed though and even though I read the previous article in the PAG about the 2CV one I was at a loss to figure out how it worked exactly.

There is a fellow over in the UK who makes replacement ones. I don't have his name any more due to computer troubles …… and I would have bought one but the postage was more than the unit. He very kindly sent me a picture of one he made with a cut away section so I could see how it worked …

Much the same as a 2CV really but more compact and serviceable what really had me tossed was with regard to the oil that drains back to the engine, there is no one way valve at this point so why doesn’t it get blown back up by crank case pressure, the answer is simple and clever.

The dip stick tube protrudes down below the oil level ……… so there is no pressure going up the tube simple yes … only took me a week to figure it out with the help talking it through with John Bennett.

So in my case the vapor which I have tapped off from the fuel pump mounting as I have an electric pump. I have a rubber hose attached to the Honda PCV valve then rubber hose up to an alloy can and enters through the top cap. The cap is like another can containing stainless steel wool to encourage the oil particles to coalesce they then drip into the bottom the cleaner vapor then it returns to the inlet manifolds via a tee piece just behind the air cleaner. Of course I wont know if it works till I get the car on the road.

No information available No information available
No information available No information available

The body is now completed and I have spent the last couple of weeks polishing the alloy it take about 4 hrs to 2 sq ft to do it properly that is … so there is lots of black oxide every where and very sore arms…. I'm not sure how long I will keep this up be we will just have to wait and see.

No information available No information available

I decided that the sheet metal foot wells were too flimsy so I made them from 50 mm thick billet alloy, first a sketch then a CAD drawing of the foot wells then a 3D model I'm sorry but I have lost the images of the 3 D drawing but here is the final foot well before it was fitted.

In all bit is about 3mm thick all over and is very stable you will note they are also deeper at the end where one heels go about 25mm deep so that big foot can drive it.

My only complaint is that I should have put it 1 inch closer to the fire wall it would have made depressing the clutch easier, it's ok but would have worked better if it was forward.

Another issue I has was finding tail lights that would comply, I found some but they were off a truck so I needed a way to mount them, so I was able to machine up a pod that would accept the new insert .. looks ok but an awful amount of work .. these had to be mounted so that the centre of the light was no more than 450mm inboard of the outer limit of the front wheels.

No information available No information available

The Transport Dept. also wanted seat belts that complied. Therefore, the centre post had to take 1.7 tonne for two belts. The structure was way too flimsy to for that. Also they wanted head restraints. At first I thought I would need to beef up the inside of the boot to make it strong enough but then I hit upon the idea of combining head restraint, seat belt stiffening and luggage rack.

The result was a SS rack that created a horizontal truss this kept the engineer happy

The rack was made from 22mm OD X 1.5 wall 304 SS and mounted using stand offs that I turned up on the lathe the two hoops were fitted then the two horizontal bars were tig weld in place then removed and welded all the way round……of course they distorted as welding dose so I had to put the rack between a couple of close trees and tweak it back into shape.

No information available No information available

Next was to fit the tool box at the rear with a lock

Just about enough polish. Today I will finish the polishing tomorrow all going well

The Plan is to have Goliath finished by the end of March … so we will see that will be over two years……

Peter Gibbs


Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!