PAG logo

Google

Daytona build    No information available

Bob Gilpatrick's build report

Bob lives in South Daytona, Florida


I was able to find my donor car on eBay but didn't buy it because the price seemed too high. Since it didn't sell I contacted the seller afterward and told him I was prepared to pay his reserve price ($1500.00) after all if he could assure me that this strange looking thing had all the 2CV chassis components underneath two front ends. He assured me there was a 2CV under there so I bought it. The car was less than a hundred miles away so I was able to pick it up and bring it home. I'm sure you will agree it is a strange looker. Does anyone recognize the license number? It was built in the UK. It's registered as a 1978 model.

No information available No information available

I immediately began the process of disassembly and ordered a Brooklands kit from Phil. Phil gave me a six-week kit assembly time. I tried to sell the unused body parts on eBay but was ultimately unsuccessful.. I got $76.00 at the scrap yard.. One of the early challenges was to find a reasonably priced, reliable shipper. I did manage to get a reliable shipper but not a reasonably priced shipper. The cost to ship exceeded the cost of the donor car.

There really was a 2CV underneath but it had an after-market chassis. I saved the chassis because it looks like something reusable at a later time.

No information available No information available

I cleaned all the donor parts, bead blasted and painted them with primer and, ultimately, a dark-bronze hammered finish.

The plastic Folger's Coffee can are a perfect fit to the bearing end of the suspension arms to keep unwanted blasting media and paint away.

No information available No information available

The kit arrived but when I unloaded it from the truck I found that somewhere between Kidderminster and South Daytona it had been dropped on its rear and top. The spare tire bracket had been pushed in flush with the ends of the side tubes. Three of the hoops had been dented also. I was disappointed but it looked like something I could fix so I accepted the kit and began work on it. It came out pretty good.

No information available No information available

At this point the suspension has been mounted and the motor and transmission and gas tank are attached. I have fitted new rear brake cylinders and shoes, new front brake shoes, new brake lines forward of the rear axle and a new fuel line. I also fitted new shocks all around.

No information available No information available

In the past week I have cut, formed and installed the floor pan. I am waiting arrival of a new brake master cylinder from ECAS. I have started cutting patterns for the sides and top and am waiting for delivery of the aluminum sheets.

No information available

The donor car I bought has front drum brakes and after discussing the situation with Phil have decided to keep the drum brakes. To that end I had to design and fabricate a bracket for the hand brake. That bracket has been installed to the plate where the disk brake mechanism would normally be attached. 90% done 90% to go. Thanks to the Forum the building process has been going rather well.

No information available
No information available No information available

Bob Gilpatrick


Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!