PAG logo

Google

'TinTub' - build update

by

Niall McLoughlin

First off I'd like to start by saying that progress has been slow on Pembleton MkII TinTub...

I collected the chassis from PMC on the 2nd June. It fitted nicely on the roof rack of the Shitroen (an economical, if soulless and temperamental piece of french engineering designed to make servicing as difficult as possible - who puts the air filter behind the engine, underneath the scuttle, requiring removal of the wipers and plastic panels!?)

Shortly after collection I piled it all back on/in the car and headed up t'north to Duncans workshop for folding the floor and lower bulkheads. This was the first sheet metalwork I've done, so it was good to see a true master and artisan at work and point out my amateur mistakes, a great deal was learnt and if you're thinking of embarking on a pembleton build, a trip up to Duncan's workshop should be at the very top of your "to do" list.

The floor and front lower bulkhead was reasonably painless and the paper patterns supplied by Phil were reasonably accurate. Only minor trimming here and there was required. Plain sailing was about to end here though. The rear lower bulkhead was miles out. The forward section was okay(ish), but the rear was in the region of 60-70mm out. After much measuring, marking, trimming, swearing, unfolding and refolding, we finally got to a result we were both happy with. I think this (in part) was due to my chassis being a lwb bullet tail. I suspect the patterns are for the barrel back.... I'd like to thank Duncan again for giving up a day and the use of his equipment and knowledge to help me!

Since then, work has been crazy busy with long hours 6 days a week. However, that project is now over and I'm finally back to a normal 40hr working week, so hopefully I can spend my evenings and weekends in the garage instead of at work.

The donor parts are all cleaned up and painted ready for fitting, I have a huge stash of new and old parts and other fittings I've acquired too, including some pre war CAV brass headlamps and Smiths clocks that I will be reworking.

I'm also half tempted to swap out the CW+P from my Ami Gearbox and drop it into the spare 2CV gearbox I have to make a "long box". Although I'm not sure yet. The Ami Box is slightly taller than a standard 2cv box anyway...

Another job I was dreading was cutting the rear arm inner flange. After taping, measuring (at least 5 times) and marking out, I set about with my angle grinder and very thin cutting disc. This worked well and purposefully removed less than I needed, swapped for a grinding disc and took it down to the required height.

My rebuilt 19" Austin wheels from Sam M are all painted up in citroen "wicked red" and ready to install the tyres, and I have a new rear wire wheel ready to be fitted too to my shorter AMI arm, I need to do a trial fit to see if the arm needs further shortening, a quick stack up of measurements places the rear arm at about 4mm off centre... whether this is truly enough to make a difference I'm not sure, but we'll see when I get it together and assess then, if its only one or two mm I'll probably not bother. My plan is to raise the skirt at the back and have the wire wheel on show. I don't much like the way most bullet tails are parallel to the floor (to me, it looks like an upturned loaf tin).

I've drawn up a wiring loom and I "think" everything is in place so I can dive right in.... The only thing I'm not sure about at the moment is a fuel tank. I will probably have an aluminium one made up by a local fabricator...

I've even bought a shed so I can move the lawnmower and bicycles etc into that to allow the garage to be a mecca for all things pembleton and allow more space.

More updates in the next EPAG (hopefully)

description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description
description

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!