Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cross channel ferries
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:52 pm 

We are planning a trip to France in the summer (Portsmouth/St Malo), and I was wondering if anyone with minimal ground clearance like us had had difficulties with any of the Ferry ramps.
Although mine is a 2CV engine, the central alternator position makes ground clearance pretty low (110mm) and the front overhang quite alot (550mm), but I guess not lower than a Guzzi? Has anyone any experience with problems in this respect, and if so are the Ferry companies accommodating - the operatives on board weren't very helpful when I had a problem with a boat trailer once!
The suspension is adjusted as high as I can make it, so the only solution would be to design a couple of portable ramps to get over the biggest bumps.
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:30 pm 

I've never had a problem with ramps at either Dover or Hull. I suggest going very slowly and perhaps at a diagonal if you're worried.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:35 pm 

Hi

Why not adjust the suspension to give more ground clearance, may be useful for the whole trip anyway dependant upon the types of road youre using

Easy to do

Colin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:53 pm 

I took the 2CV Brooklands to Le Mans last year. Portsmouth Caen then St Malo on the way back standard suspension settings. I had no problems however, I did approach difficult bits diagonally

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 am 

Many thanks all for your reassurance.
I haven't had any problems in the UK during the 4000 miles I have covered and I have adjusted my suspension to the maximum, (you can't buy shorter 'specials' tie rod end eyes can you?), but I must say I hadn't thought about the (now!) obvious solution of approaching ramps obliquely. That will of course assist with the 'overhang' issue as long as my fellow travellers are patient and there is enough space to meander without alarming the authorities!
Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 pm 

Martin,

You ask about shorter tie rods to allow higher suspension. I needed shorter tie rods for various reasons on my build and got round the problem by altering the spring cup to give the same result as a shorter tie-rod.

If you cut the spring cup as shown by the dotted line in the second photo, then place the piece that is the seat for the tie-rod on the other side of the spring cup it sits nicely in the recess. A couple of good tack welds then stops it moving, but these are not required for strength as the part that is the tie-rod seat can't go anywhere. The first photo shows this, but unfortunately it isn't that clear as I have put my spring assemblies inside half cans.

This mod produces the same affect as shortening the tie rod by around 20mm, placing you in a different part of the tie rod threaded range which will give you hopefully a more useful adjustment range.

Ade

Attachments:
Spring cup.jpg
Spring cup.jpg [ 354.37 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]
Spring cup mod.jpg
Spring cup mod.jpg [ 544.36 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:25 pm 

Gents,
Raising the front suspension hight can alter the king pin angle nearer to vertical (18 deg behind vertical is recommended) which might be great for ferry ramps but can have adverse effects on your straight line steering stability!!

Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:02 pm 

Rob,
Riding on 19" rims and "skinny tyres" reduces the rotational amount of kingpin inclination ( as opposed to running 135 X 15 wheels and tyres). I can't see that increasing the ride height by 20 to 30mm is going to rotate the kingpin inclination to the point of concern you suggest?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 pm 

Mike,
I am speaking from "experience" which is why I have posted on this thread..!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 pm 

Rob,
As you probably know, I still run (10 years on) 15" wheels and ride height governed by the thread on standard 2CV pull-rods. I've had no problems.....