Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Pembletons in Print
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 pm 

This is not really about Pembletons in print, more about Pembletons across the globe.

We've just returned from a very enjoyable holiday in India. I spent one evening in a hotel bar in Delhi talking to another English guy about cars, we both enjoyed (retrospectively) the English cycle car/light car vogue of the 1920s/early '30s. My wife had volunteered the information that I was building a car and the guy then recounted having recently seen something which had really captured his imagination. I-phones were then produced and he showed me a photo which I discerned to be of Duncan's 3 wheeler!
Truly fame spreading across the globe. The international element was diminished a little when I later found out that he lived in Harrogate.

Indian papers as we left were carrying stories that, to increase public access to motorised transport, quadricycles were to be licensed for public use; another potential market for the Broooklands!

Ray Westwood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:33 pm 

Well Really! I don't know what to say other than post a link to my new website in the name of some shameless self publicity...

https://www.dwgrimmond.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 pm 

Looking good, Duncan!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:26 pm 

Hi All,
Electric cars are great!!!...it depends if you like going for the papers or going for a run.
A typical trip out with Tom, requires about 100miles to/from the meet, then another 200 miles with lunch in between. Given reported capabilities of e-cars you will need to overnight to allow the batteries to recharge.
IMHO they are a car for use in a city to collect the papers and milk....go for a run, buy petrol or diesel.
The cost of the e-car grossly out weighs that of a conventional unit.

A complete waste of time being promoted by politicians who do not have an ounce of common sense, plenty brains but confused wiring.

Enjoy your petrol burners Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:18 am 

it comes down to nuclear cars..just to provide the power when they are nomberous...and the raw materials finding and digging then eventually difficult recycling...long term bad stuff...
and still the container boats using enough fuel to power thousands of cars per year just for a return journey across to america ...and lorries still churn out the particles on the roads...fully allowed..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:23 am 

Though we may be unwilling to accept it, personal motor transport is killing us and we will have to give it up at some point fairly soon. I am as guilty of indulgence as the next man but, having recently returned from a drive through London, the bicycle is the transport of the future.
To see a crush of SUVs each weighing around 1.5 - 2 tons and carrying only one person moving at an average speed of 2 mph is a salutary experience. The only traffic that was actually making any progress was on 2 wheels.
The average traffic speed in 1900 in London was 12mph, today it is less than 4mph...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am 

ps there is also an electric Triking being made -privately..but the factory is helping with required modifications...
don't know any details...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 am 

Ade Colmar wrote:
300km = 22 litres of petrol weighing 19kg
300km = needs 220 litre battery weighing 330kg

For me this absolutely kills the whole argument dead!

I'm not so sure it does. Think about electric bicycles. There are almost certainly more electric bicycles on the planet than any other electric vehicle. There must be some correlation between the weight of the vehicle, and the weight of batteries to power it. Maybe the BMW formula refers to shifting a 1.5 - 2 ton car. Our Pembletons weigh 4 or 5 times less than that. Whilst I totally agree that the noise of a motorcycle engine is a huge part of the Pembleton pleasure, I have driven enough electric cars to see the attraction. But, I wouldn't want to HAVE to choose!

Building Hopper No 289

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 pm 

Interesting point about electric bikes being the most numerous electric vehicles on the planet. As it happens I was in Alpine Bikes today eyeing up the latest e-MTBs, I must admit to being very drawn to the technology (not least for its ability to compensate for an ageing body!).

Back to cars and like others on the forum I also love the emotive nature of the internal combustion engine in all its aspects. Because I love car and motorbikes, I have been all the more curious about the hope and expectation placed on electric cars by manufacturers and politicians. When I began to read about the energy density thing, it helped to explain the lack of significant growth in the market despite the Toyota Prius being 21 years old. Even if you scale down the figures given by BMW for a small family car to a very lightweight vehicle such as a Pembleton, the size and weight of the battery still massively dominates (that is assuming you want to tour about, rather than restrict yourself to urban travel and high charge point availability). The loss of the exhaust note would be bad enough but adding pedals to a Pembleton as a form of range extension would be just too much ;) !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 pm 

.... and of course electric vehicles aren't really saving the planet coz we're just burning the fossil fuels elsewhere to generate the electricity upon which they run. That added to the environmental impacts of modern battery manufacture etc .... anyway I'm sure you've all heard the arguments before ;)