Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: MSVA success
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:12 pm 

Just had the dreaded MSVA which turned out to be a very good experience at the Exeter test centre. The tester was really helpful and put me at ease as he asked various questions and looked round over and under the Super Sport. After what seemed like 2mins but was actually nearly 2 hours I was in possession of the type approval form. Now I face form filling and a cash injection to move on to the road. This has been a very satisfying build and am indebted to the forum for a lot of help as I searched for those answers that made the build easier than it would have been.
So I now move on the chassis register from building to nearly on the road!
Dave

Post subject: Re: MSVA success
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:29 am 

Congratulations :-) Lots of Pembleton-ing to look forward to.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:39 am 

Well done Dave!

A good VOSA Inspector will recognise a competent build immediately, so the rest of the test is checking the detail, with any minor corrections "whilst he goes for a coffee".

Don't forget to photocopy your Minister's certificate - DVLA will keep the original.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:38 pm 

Well done. Dave!
Sounds like my tester - friendly, thorough etc but on the lookout for any shoddiness prompting further investigation.
He looked under my car because he thought he saw garden hose being used as a fuel line but then impressed because it was to protect the fuel line from chafing on the chassis.
I was glad I spent time curing engine oil drips thinking oil on their nice clean floor would be sure to get off on a bad start !
Well done.
David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:35 am 

Just to finish off here is the SS as tested and just waiting for the paperwork before a shakedown cruise!
Dave

Attachments:
IMG_20180425_161043.jpg
IMG_20180425_161043.jpg [ 621.36 KiB | Viewed 745 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:46 pm 

Good show on the MSVA, I hope the documents come through soon.
A thought about your front mudguards, there is a lot of unsupported metal forward of the mounting bracket. I seem to recall another like this, the mudguards flapped quite a bit which induced stress fractures close to the mounting brackets on both guards. It might be an idea either to move them back somewhat to reduce the unsupported forward part or cut them back a bit?
IIRC the leading edge of the guard can be vertically in line with the foremost part of the wheel rim for the test requirement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:04 am 

Well done that man, now the fun begins :-)

Tom

750 Guzzi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 am 

Quote:
Good show on the MSVA, I hope the documents come through soon.
A thought about your front mudguards, there is a lot of unsupported metal forward of the mounting bracket. I seem to recall another like this, the mudguards flapped quite a bit which induced stress fractures close to the mounting brackets on both guards. It might be an idea either to move them back somewhat to reduce the unsupported forward part or cut them back a bit?
IIRC the leading edge of the guard can be vertically in line with the foremost part of the wheel rim for the test
requirement

Thanks for that I had thought about it and as the stress fractures occur mainly from high frequency oscillations and having had the same problem on home built trials bikes the cure was to mount the guards using rubber gaskets between the bike and the guards with large washers on the outside of the guard to dampen out the oscillations I have employed the same strategy on the SS so only time will tell if I have stopped the problem. Also the inside skirts to prevent mud in the eye on turns have been glued as well as pop riveted so it should all help to dampen the oscillations that occur.

I am still waiting for the docs and every time I go in the garage I am reminded that I am desperate to open the drive gates!

dave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:47 pm 

It's more the sideways movement which causes the problem. Unless you're extremely tall you can't see the leading edge from the cockpit. Even Mike Bulley who is famously 5'19" couldn't see it happening on his car. When he met us in France for the Rheims outing in 2011 both his guards had the fractures and IIRC he had to cut them down and rivet them back together in shorter form.
If the leading point moves laterally more than an inch or two when stationary you can be sure that on our potholed roads it will be much greater deflection at speed. The spats will reinforce the rear section very well but it looks like you have about a quarter of a circumference of the wheel un-braced forward of the stay.
However, if you've used the same technique on a previous build without failure, I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 pm 

Red Letter Day today
The reg no arrived in the post, I hot footed it to town and picked up the plates, fitted them for its first run and it rained torrents. Looks like tomorrow will now be the day. I tried to leave a email to say I was now on the road but it bounced back ! so today turned out not to good apart from the reg number.
Thanks for the comments on the mudguards I will monitor them and see if they behave as I hope if not its back to the drawing board.

dave