Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Body polishing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:42 pm 

I think this fits in Chat rather than technical, how do you remove finger marks from the polished ali body and is there a secret mixture to do the polishing with. I seem to make things worse rather than shiny, rest a hand whilst polishing a bit and then look at the finger marks and think "Oh ****" and start again. I have tried various types of polish with varied results but as yet not found a good method or polish. Every time Jen visits the garage she looks and says "what are those finger marks?" which of course I had not noticed!
Dave

Post subject: Re: Body polishing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:16 pm 

Dave,
Fingers/hands have an oily residue - it doesn't vary from one surface preparation or another. If you have a natural finish to your aluminium body panels, prints will show.

For me, the key is to (a) get rid of the mill-marks then (b) achieve an overall, even surface finish. Having got that far, I find that washing the car with a "soft" shampoo ( NO SALT!!!), a quick drying-off with a chamois leather now and then, is enough. The car gets "polished" once a year, ready for MOT. 10 years on, it's still the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:34 am 

Wear latex/nitrile gloves or better still, paint it :-)

Tom

750 Guzzi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:28 am 

Polish????

Fingerprints dont show on my pembleton as its truly 'au naturelle'

Yearly or more clean with scotchbrite pad and wd40

Wife goes into garage?? And takes an interest in whats there?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:40 am 

Tom,
Not MY prints! Gloves always worn when doing anything on the car to avoid 'oxide patinated hands' and grubby fingernails. So many people, when admiring the car seem compelled to touch it. I recall seeing a sign at the le Mans Driver Parade " Voyez avec les yeux, jamais touchez svp" (Look but don't touch, in English, seems trite by comparison).

Richard Scaldwell's GN Jap is for me the epitome of a well patinated car - hand finished in aluminium and copper, it has "ghosted" images of past stickers and a matt lacquered finish misted with fine, dark powder to simulate almost a 100 years of use - instantly. Now THAT's a painted finish.

Attachments:
GNJapspecial1.jpg
GNJapspecial1.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 415 times ]
GNJapspecial2.jpg
GNJapspecial2.jpg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 415 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm 

We went off to the Bicester classic car and aircraft show the other day in our Pembleton. Wanted her to look good so early that morning i got out a big tube of solvol and some rags and started polishing. Did all down one side and it came up gleaming. The trouble was that i was then exhausted and had run out of time so we went to the show with one side like a mirror and the other side dull and stained. It was a sort of ' before and after ' exhibit. Next time i'll start at the front and work back !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 pm 

over 10 years, my blue thing has only had a diesel cloth and a wipe over...a gentle sheen but there's no rust and it runs ok...
agree with Mike, the gn beast is rather special having seen and heard it at Montlhery...and it is driven there and back...