Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:21 pm 

One last desperate guess !
It's an exhaust powered warning whistle ?
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 pm 

Duncan,
Smug pleasure notwithstanding " wotwosit"?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:48 pm 

I'm waiting to take a picture of it installed and running. If I don't get this soon I'll tell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:55 pm 

At the risk of being shot down here, can we have the answer in the next EPAG?

I think we should make it a regular feature, with different members offering a "can you guess what it is yet?" feature each quarter, with each person who offers the image to nominate the next person! This will give the next nominee 3 months to find a suitable item and will also keep people on thier feet until the next installment!

Guzzi 750 Supersport 316 - on the road
Guzzi 750 LWB supersport 413 - in build

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 pm 

slomax wrote:
At the risk of being shot down here, can we have the answer in the next EPAG?

I think we should make it a regular feature, with different members offering a "can you guess what it is yet?" feature each quarter, with each person who offers the image to nominate the next person! This will give the next nominee 3 months to find a suitable item and will also keep people on thier feet until the next installment!

What a good idea !
But how do you nominate someone that you know would want to play ?
To avoid that problem I suggest the next person to offer a "can you guess what it is picture" is the first person to correctly guess what the last item was.
So in this current case if no one gets the answer then Duncan would be the "winner" and he would provide the next mystery object.
david

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:42 am 

I have pondered long and think it is the bits of a Hot Bulb ignition system for either a stationary engine or a single cylinder ships engine, many years ago I used to start a ships engine with a blowlamp to heat the bulb and is vaguely familiar.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:47 pm 

No but closer, remember it's from an automobile...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 pm 

I am probably wrong, and I am extending the word 'automobile' to its historic (french) roots.
Is it the combustion mechanism for a ground tamper?
What we know now as 'wacker plates' used to be large single cylinder internal combustion jumping masses about the size and form of a 13 year old boy, no gears - just a combustion chamber and two heavy masses, one above and one below, resting on the ground on a heavy plate. The operator held onto handles similar to a very rugged bicycle handlebar that slid up and down on rails, the motion of the handles on the rails relative to the top mass drove the magneto to provide HT to the plug gap at the right time so that the charge ignited and the tamper jumped up, tamping the ground and also providing automatic mobility (automobile), jumping in the direction orientated by the operator via the handles for the next tamp location.
Great fun to have a go at once you get used to the timing of the system, but don't let it land on your foot.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:22 pm 

I have no idea what it is but I would say ...

Don't take it anywhere near Chiswick, Chelsea or Ealing coz one of the bright young things will likely as not "up-cycle" it into a designer table lamp.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:39 pm 

eepaw,
What you describe is known locally in the West of Scotland as " Paddy's Motorcycle", there were lots of Irish workers on the road here around the 50's and 60's :lol:
Bill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next