Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 pm 

Hi all,

Bit of an odd question, but is there a smaller thinner more malleable version of the aluminium edge trim anyone knows of?

After getting the floor in, the first thing I'm going to do is get the seat design and position done. The only reason I'm building my own is to make it more comfortable for my larger, taller frame.

Over lunchtime at work today I knocked up a rough si.gle piece seat pattern for an aluminium bucket type seat. It'll have a considerable seat pad and a fair amount of shape in the back pad too, but not much on the width. The finisjed product will have some beads rolled in it and some swaged holes for stiffness. I don't fancy hand forming a wire bead edge all the way round and the plastic stuff looks a bit "kit car" in my eyes. Is there such a product?

Attachment:
IMG_20190111_223504-640x361.jpg
IMG_20190111_223504-640x361.jpg [ 77.82 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20190111_223606-640x361.jpg
IMG_20190111_223606-640x361.jpg [ 63.4 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20190111_223614-640x361.jpg
IMG_20190111_223614-640x361.jpg [ 61.72 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

Guzzi 750 Supersport 316 - on the road
Guzzi 750 LWB supersport 413 - in build

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:06 am 

There is a smaller aluminium trim used on the edge of Vespa scooter leg-shields, and a special tool available to fit it.

Jack
ss410

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 am 

Using a combination of Tee-dolly or stake and a bending spring for 15 mm topper tube it should not be too difficult to form a rolled edge for your seat with a leather mallet. This will give a more rigid edge than a small knock-on trim which has little intrinsic strength. Give me a call Niall...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 am 

Quote:

Bit of an odd question, but is there a smaller thinner more malleable version of the aluminium edge trim anyone knows of?

Niall, yes there are at least two sizes I know of. The wider one I bought from Silverfish, the second I bought from Silver Surfer so neither came from the original source so not very helpful. The wider one was a bitch to fit requiring annealing etc but gave a very rigid edge, the smaller one was much easier to fit, I have just used it and it feels pretty good. You can just see it in the pic. Alan Dickson picked up some trim when he collected his kit from PMC and there was a mixture of wide and narrow!

Tom

PS The car is in undercoat, final colour will be RAF Blue ;-)

750 Guzzi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm 

Niall,
I am only aware of 2 commercially available, extruded aluminium edgings - produced for Morgan Plus 4 and Morgan Aero 8. We normally use the "Plus 4" item - the "Aero 8" is seriously heavier and more difficult to form. I have the specs/dimension of both if you need.

With any extruded channel edging, there is a delicate balance between depth of available channel, the width of panel being edged and the size of rivets (pop or solid) being used. In practise, glueing edging is complicated by a lack of drilled"datum anchors".

For my build, having a 7mm edging "slot" and using 3.2mm csk rivets meant a 0.8mm panel edge to "hold" the assembly - a bit exacting!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:12 pm 

Have a look at the SIP scooter (Germany, in English) website for aluminium edge trim and tool, (I have use them for parts for my son's scooter) there is also a screw on version of the trim. in addition lots of choice of plastic edge trim, including wood grain effect!
I have just measured Ben's scooter (Vespa PX) the standard trim is 1500 mm long.

Jack
ss410

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm 

Jack
The UK site only lists chromed plastic. As you say, the German site shows "aluminium beading" - at close on $100 for 1 X 1500mm length and flange tool, it's not cheap.

Niall,
I edged the whole car with the smaller Morgan trim - exacting and frustrating work, but once done, it really stiffens up panels. I fixed mine with csk rivets, "bumping" the edging on to the panels with a rubber mallet, using welding gauntlets to hold the hot pieces. Running around the bonnet (only curves, no "corners"!) was the most demanding. I like Duncan's 'turned edge' notion, although that would make the seat wider. Sorry, still can't add any images to the post.