Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Tank baffles
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 pm 

Worried about the sender? While you've got the tank out might be the time to replace it....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am 

Tom,
Photo showing breather position on tank

Jack

Attachments:
breather small.jpg
breather small.jpg [ 27.73 KiB | Viewed 152 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:48 am 

duncan grimmond wrote:
Worried about the sender? While you've got the tank out might be the time to replace it....

Sender is fine, rather not disturb it!

Tom

PS Thanks Jack

750 Guzzi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:00 pm 

duncan grimmond wrote:

If the sender is working I would leave it alone. I fitted a new sender from ECAS (the cheaper one with a quality warning!) and not only was the calibration way out but the wiper on the potentiometer did not make proper contact so the gauge often showed empty with the tank part full.
I repaired the old sender by soldering on a home made brass wiper tip !
David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:12 am 

Hi
Appreciate this is a problem and all the good suggestions made but wonder if citroen had already got this solved and their solution is being overlooked

The original 2cv set up was plastic (or metal) fuel tank, stepped rubber connector and shaped metal tube to filler cap

Inside the metal tube is a second smaller pipe which acts as a vent to the tank, fixed to the main tube by the filler orifice, and terminating near the rubber connector

So if you retain the 2cv metal filler cap end, Leave the smaller pipe longer to allow space to clip some rubber petrol pipe to it and adjust the length of the rubber pipe to suit the length to the tank

May be too late for you but not for other builders??

Colin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:11 pm 

Colin-gser wrote:
Hi
Appreciate this is a problem and all the good suggestions made but wonder if citroen had already got this solved and their solution is being overlooked

The original 2cv set up was plastic (or metal) fuel tank, stepped rubber connector and shaped metal tube to filler cap

Inside the metal tube is a second smaller pipe which acts as a vent to the tank, fixed to the main tube by the filler orifice, and terminating near the rubber connector

So if you retain the 2cv metal filler cap end, Leave the smaller pipe longer to allow space to clip some rubber petrol pipe to it and adjust the length of the rubber pipe to suit the length to the tank

Colin

Colin, my reason for a vent is because I plan to fit the unvented fuel filler just below the waistline of the car for reasons mentioned in my first post, not because of slow filling?

Tom

750 Guzzi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

I have an unvented tank and drilled a small vent hole (1mm?) in the neck just below the Monza fuel cap. The volume of air required to prevent a vacuum forming as the petrol is used isn't much. It seems to work fine for me. If the car inverts the leakage via the hole will be very small - remember air will have to get into the tank from elsewhere for fuel to escape through the hole.

Rough calc; 50mpg is about a gallon per hour or about 5 liters an hour or 100ml per min.

#189 Quicksilver
Small block 750 Moto Guzzi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:50 pm 

My tank vent is from an 8mm bore pipe off the top of the tank The in-line valve (passes air, not liquid) "hisses" as I refill (it's at the middle-of-the-spare-wheel level, on the tail). When it stops hissing, I know the tank is full, to within 3" or 4" of the vertical filler neck, on the top of the rear deck. There's then 400+ miles of motoring available (normally refilled at ~360).

I recall the "range anxiety" having arrived somewhere, cold and wet knowing that "we need to find fuel in the morning, within the first 20 miles". With the larger tank, " need to refuel today or, at the latest, before lunchtime tomorrow" is well worth the expenditure. I don't miss the 2CV fuel level sender and its 40 year old brass rheostat; I do value a gauge that says "fuel empty", when that's where you are.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 pm 

Colin-gser wrote:
Hi

Colin

Colin
I agree.
I convinced myself that my 2cv locking cap is vented by blowing through the key hole - is that how air is designed to enter as fuel leaves the tank ?.
I used the 2cv petrol cap and the upper part of the galvanised main filler pipe including the gentle corrugated bend. From there I soldered a 4omm copper pipe to join the stepped rubber tank connector. As it is a route with no sharp bends and my filler is 6 or 7 " above the waistline chassis tube I removed the internal 10mm pipe completely. I can fill up quite quickly with no blow-back.
David
PS.
I suspect the 2cv cap has an internal non-return valve. Is this the case ?
When doing that sucking and blowing test through the key hole I could hear what sounds like a valve operating and the flow is freer blowing than sucking. So has it got a built-in safety check valve like Ade described earlier ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:55 am 

Colin
I agree.
I convinced myself that my 2cv locking cap is vented by blowing through the key hole - is that how air is designed to enter as fuel leaves the tank ?.
I used the 2cv petrol cap and the upper part of the galvanised main filler pipe including the gentle corrugated bend. From there I soldered a 4omm copper pipe to join the stepped rubber tank connector. As it is a route with no sharp bends and my filler is 6 or 7 " above the waistline chassis tube I removed the internal 10mm pipe completely. I can fill up quite quickly with no blow-back.
David
PS.
I suspect the 2cv cap has an internal non-return valve. Is this the case ?
When doing that sucking and blowing test through the key hole I could hear what sounds like a valve operating and the flow is freer blowing than sucking. So has it got a built-in safety check valve like Ade described earlier ?[/quote]

I did a more careful look at the 2cv petrol cap and found there is a proper air inlet is (as you might expect) under the top black plastic cover. And there does not appear to be a valve so if the car turned over I reckon fuel would dribble out.
David