Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:52 pm 

Duncan

I could be wrong but you may have over egged the hours, i reckon 500 hours tops for my build, although i only spent 6 months and followed build manual quite closely and not i tereste in concourse condition

If you assume pg knows what he is doing (obvioulsy) that only gives him about 250 hours per build at £25/hour if he wants to make a living

As im not at three score years and ten my number of toys still seems to be increasing!

Colin

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 pm 

Colin,
"Bolide"'s construction was 1800 hours over 3 years. Duncan's attention to detail AND personal variations in the panelwork does pile on the hours.

The new PMC "turnkey" has some extremely simplistic, one piece panels, bonded-on, which with familiarity, makes for a rapid build. The engines are a straight-out-of-the box, ready to go installation and the running gear will all be ready sourced.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:10 pm 

I don't think I over-estimated my time, if anything it was an under-estimate. Neither of my builds was as per the standard PG destructions and every non-purchasable item was made in my workshop. Incorporating a central top Monza filler with associated firewall etc was at least 100 hours from conception to completion. Making the aluminium tubing for the edging was a 40 hour job. Making an aluminium front cowl, split bonnet with rolled edge and secret fixings, wired-edge mudguards, hall-marked silver mascot, I could go on...
5-600 hours will do the job but gives a basic model...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm 

I didn't keep a record of the time I spent building Daisy, took me a couple of years but did have a summer off.
As for the cost, I have a file full of receipts but have never got round to adding them up.
The pleasure I have had probably won't filter down to a future owner.
But she's still unique and great fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:12 pm 

Precisely!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:39 am 

After attending the Triking 40th gathering in Norfolk in Edith, we have decided that the Triking is not the right 3 wheeler for Carol.
So, with careful consideration, I have taken Daisy off the market. There are events that we like to attend together, the superb comfort of the Pembleton will allow us to continue our excursions.
Shame we didn't know about the NYM run.
See you in Scotland.
(I’m still keeping the Triking Sports Car for shear self indulgence)

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:50 pm 

Bravo Tony, I knew sense would prevail in the end.

When i was up with Duncan last weekend we were discussing the amount of effort and time you put in to build and our disbelief at you putting up for sale!

Guzzi 750 Supersport 316 - on the road
Guzzi 750 LWB supersport 413 - in build

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm 

Niall,
Until you've reached " 3 score-and-ten " you won't appreciate the change in outlook about "things". Knowing Tony (who also has an ailing "significant other") the reality of having a number of indulgent "boys' toys" changes from being a satisfying bonus, to a 'whatever will she do with my toys, if I go first?'

I've sold all my motorbikes, the Alvis, but retained "Bolide" and the mine-for-48-years, pre War Rover, neither of which my disabled wife can drive, but she does have "ziggy Smart" which she can manage, should she be left on her own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 pm 

Glad to hear you'll get a bit more pleasure from your excellent build Tony. I know you can only drive one car at a time but the luxury of choice etc....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:38 am 

a good decision, you can enjoy the different drives and driving with both..with one or two up ..as required..Pembleton does have a superb ride..and the guzzi makes such a difference..
twas good seeing you at the 40th..
can you put a passenger side step on to make access easier ??