Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 am 

Good evening,

I'm a bit confused as I've been through all this with my first build, but what I remember of the rules doesn't match with what I've read on the MSVA guidance?!

First, I was sure that my filler cap had to be secured to the neck with a chain - but can't find this anywhere. Am I going mad?

Secondly - security. The MSVA says I need a mechanical or electric form of security, as well as the method used to start the car. Does this mean that I could use one of the Lucas light/ignition switches as my only security as long as I have a separate starter button? I was planning to use a cut off power feed with the removable key also as a backup. Ideally I'd like not to use the mechanical lock as I've other plans for that area.

Thanks,

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:12 am 

I think that a security chain on the fuel cap is a fairly recent addition - sometime in the last few revisions of the mSVA manual anyway. I fitted one but the examiner didn't look....

You do need some form of security in addition to the ignition switch. Either a steering column lock or a battery isolater will suffice I believe.

Cheers, Robin

#335 Silvermachine
Small block 750 Moto Guzzi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:57 pm 

Phil,
A removable steering wheel is a fairly powerful, mechanical anti-theft device.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm 

If you apply the hand brake and then turn the white plastic"thumb cap" through about 30 degrees clockwiseit will snap into a ready made detent position thus locking the handbrake in that position.
That and the original steering lock worked for me !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:04 am 

John,
although 'lifting and turning' it 90 degrees, in either direction, works just fine... ;)

John Little wrote:
If you apply the hand brake and then turn the white plastic"thumb cap" through about 30 degrees clockwiseit will snap into a ready made detent position thus locking the handbrake in that position.
That and the original steering lock worked for me !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 pm 

Hi

I think they count the original ignition switch/steering lock as 2 devices ie an electrical key switch and a mechanical steering lock - as is the norm for most cars for many years

So for john i think the handbrake twist knob was a side issue and i doubt would have counted in any event

Logically the chain is necesary to prevent fuel spillage, lost count the number of times when out motorcycling i came across a libe of fuel of the first few bends after a petrol station where people had forgotten to refit this!
A sensible addition even if not a requirement of the test

Colin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:37 am 

The requirement is for either a fuel cap retained with a chain or a lockable fuel cap. I understand that it's to reduce the likelihood of driving away and leaving the fuel cap at a petrol station. The chain will ensure that you take it with you because it's attached to the vehicle, the lockable fuel cap option works because it will be dangling from your car keys when you try to start the car....

That's what my MSVA guy said anyway.

Stu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:23 pm 

Thank you - good to know I'm not loosing it.

This does lead to another problem though - Looking at the MSVA manual on the .gov.uk website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ion-manual

I can't find mention of this. Is there a newer version of the manual I need?

Thanks,

Phil