Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: MSVA appointment
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:49 pm 

I submitted my MSVA appointment about 3 weeks ago: the new system is based around a centralised bookings system so all you can do is express a preference for a test centre in the initial application. Once the application is approved/processed then a test appointment can be arranged. In my case the only appointment slots were at 8.00am at centres a 2hr drive or more away. The sympathetic operator asked where I lived ( W Midlands) and suggested Kidderminster as a much closer centre, which it is. A booking couldn't be made as the computer system was down. Subsequent calls have not been successful and today I was told that Kidderminster was not an option as there isn't a tester there. I just thought it might be worth checking whether others have encountered difficulties in getting an appointment at a convenient time/place? Kidderminster is within spitting distance of Pembleton HQ at Bayton, I wonder if any of Guy's cars have been tested there?

Ray Westwood

Post subject: Re: MSVA appointment
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:05 pm 

Ray,
The nature of our cars is that VOSA test appointments are frequently "first up" at Test Centres - my SVA test was at 0800 at what was the Norwich Centre, some 40 odd miles away. The advantage, if you're driving to the test, is that you're ahead of commuter, rush hour. Again, with our cars, the Test Inspector can form an early opinion (i.e. this is another good, Pembleton build) and go through the test requirements, leaving himself available for more demanding tasks within the same shift.

I don't think it matters greatly, which Test Centre you're allocated within your "locality". If you're allocated Kidderminster, there will be a favourable expectation of quality from Phil's/Guy's cars which I'm sure will be equalled in your build.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:08 pm 

Ray,
As I remember Kidderminster never performed MSVA tests so it is unlikely they do now. I had to go to Barnt Green in Birmingham but that now is closed like so many others.
Shrewsbury and Bristol are set up for MSVA if they are still running!
Cheers,
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:33 pm 

Hi

I also had a ‘first’ appointment for both the test and retest which meant a 5.30am start (in the dark for the first test ) and a 2 hour drive to give some tweaking time ahead of the test which was at 8am

Whilst it was somewhat stressful that my first proper drive on public roads was so far and involved dual carriageways and motorway it was also exhilerating - basically before my car was registered i had done over 400 miles on the road!

Theres always a positive somewhere

Colin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:20 pm 

My most recent test was at Beverley at 07.30. I thought that they took my home to be in Beverley as the house name is "Beverley" so I had a 05.30 start to get there. The examiner didn't arrive until 08.30, half an hour after the gates opened so I was hanging around for over an hour...
The centralised bookings from Swansea are obviously arranged by a media studies graduate who probably doesn't drive and couldn't read a map if his/her life depended on it!