Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Spare Wheels and IVA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:36 am 

I was surprised to be asked if I wanted a spare wheel when a car salesman was listing options for my new car. It had never occurred to me to drive without one but, at least here in France, a spare wheel is not obligatory these days. Is that also true in the UK, and if so, can we present our cars for IVA without one and thus save, in my case, 14kgs for wire wheel and tyre; 2.6kgs for hub converter and 600gms for the hex spinner?

Post subject: Re: Spare Wheels and IVA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:18 pm 

Neither of my recent daily drivers have had spare wheels as standard.

My BMW 1 series has run-flat tyres (which I can testify do work!) There is nowhere to keep a spare.
The Mini Clubman I am just about to buy has room for a spare but, by default, has just a can of squirty foam. A spare is an "extra" Hmm....

So certainly there is no rule in the UK that dictates you must have a spare.

Robin

#335 Silvermachine
Small block 750 Moto Guzzi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:24 pm 

Peter,
If you have a "spare" it will be tested (and for MSVA, that includes the wheel rim for edge radius...!). Anything that isn't there (spare wheel/ aero screens) obviously can't be. For lots of modern cars, the "emergency spare" is a mobile phone and recovery plan.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:04 am 

Many thanks for the replies!
Mike, I recall in one of your posts that you did your IVA with 5 wire wheels and still weighed well under the heavy quad limit of 400kgs. Other posts show many struggle and only just scrape by by limiting petrol on board etc. I've always assumed that I would need to do the full M1 IVA as my Guzzi 850cu and G series box is PROBABLY heavier than most combinations. Not only that, but I've added triangulation braces, an angle iron cross member just under the top of the front hoop for head restraints and stiffened the floor by way of the floor change . Now I'm starting to think I might be able to take the heavy quad route as my additions, and possibly heavier power train, are unlikely to add-up to the 17kg saving of the spare wheel. If I can get close I'll see if I can borrow some 2cv wheels!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 am 

Heavy quad is severly limited on BHP. 25 as I recall? Somewhat less than your Guzzi engine...

Cheers, Robin

#335 Silvermachine
Small block 750 Moto Guzzi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:40 am 

Hi Peter,
When my car was tested, the "heavy quadricycle" category had not been announced - and as Robin says, having 75 to 80 bhp would have ruled out that option anyway. I wouldn't beat yourself up chasing heavy quad and MSVA - a less demanding test, sure enough, but both Alan and I got our cars through. IIRC I don't think there's any advantage as far as road tax is concerned - we get lumped in to the "old" up-to-1500cc or 1500cc and above. A good build will pass IVA, although the fee is daunting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:41 pm 

Hi you two, thanks again for the info - back to the M1 IVA and to hell with the weight!!
Fortunately there's no road tax here, just the Controle Technique (MOT) every two years after the first four.