Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:48 pm 

Has anyone had problems having the seat belt anchorage point on the cockpit uprights accepted at the MSVA test ?
On my Grasshopper there is a drilled plate provided (approx. 50x50x 3mm thick ?) welded onto the side of the cockpit upright.
If I were an inspector I would not be impressed. Seat belt load would be in a direction tending to bend the plate at the rearmost attachment weld.

Is it worth welding (or brazing) a threaded block to the cockpit uprights to accept the socket fixing bolt ?
David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

My examiner at Beverley made no comments at all about the seat belts and the attachment points. The fact he had tested a number of Pembletons may have helped as he was familiar with the car.

#189 Quicksilver
Small block 750 Moto Guzzi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 am 

Same as David,

My examiner was happy with the seat belt anchorage points, both those on the cockpit upright and the those behind the seat back.

Stu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:45 pm 

Hi
I had a very challenging tester at Southampton who required was well aware of pembletons and required triangulation as well as many other very pedantic details - but never mentioned or queried those brackets even though he checked every seat belt bolt had the correct metal grade stamped on it!
Seems to me they're fine, drilling the chassis may even be worse as its thin wall
Colin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:16 pm 

For the seat belt stalk mount I welded a captive nut to a piece of 3mm steel strip and mounted it between Phil's original mounting and the side of the car. The Avonmouth inspector was Content with the arrangement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 pm 

David,
In fairness, the PMC provided loop is on the rear of the centre upright - any impact forces would have to react forwards through the thickness of the upright.

On my car, I attached a replacement loop, about 4" up from the standard item, but included a close-fitting steel sleeve, spot welded to the upright and the loop.

That was accepted.