Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:24 pm 

The PMC rear number plate design does not provide 500mm separation of indicator lights required for MSVA (as I read it).
I am planning to use the approx. 100mm square light clusters as used on small trailers - preferably the LED versions for robustness.
Is there any reason this will not be acceptable ?
David
In the MSVA manual I can see plenty of requirements on positioning lights but nothing on the lights themselves eg minimum brightness ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:05 pm 

If you use LED lights they are supposed to have the appropriate E mark. I did, and mine had, but the tester didn't check.

Cheers, Robin

#335 Silvermachine
Small block 750 Moto Guzzi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

I used the old bulb trailer lights - don't forget the spacing which I got wrong. I fixed that at the test. He didn't search for E marks anywhere.

#189 Quicksilver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:35 pm 

Robin and David
Thank you for the rapid replies which prompted me to look at MSVA manual again to find I had missed sec 6 ! (- and only printed off Annex 6 of sec. 6.)

The only mention of E/e marking I see relates to white LED lamps.

Brightness requirement :-
Under "Reasons for failure" 2.e) "- - not of similar brightness when compared to a lamp from a vehicle meeting ECWVTA" ( ie European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval).

So I presume any lamp assembly with E/e marking will be OK but MSVA does not spell this out as I would expect.

David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

The MSVA manual doesn't mention visibility angles for lighting but I recall some people having problems - 'side lights not visible to a drunk in the gutter'.

The Construction and Use Regs specify these angles (and a lot more!) and your build might have to comply with them. A phone call to MSVA test centre should clarify it.

#189 Quicksilver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:21 pm 

Hi David M,
As David T says, the physical location/separation of lights (or whatever sort) WILL be measured. The type of lamp (incandescent bulb/LED) is a secondary consideration - LEDs project light straight back. If the lens doesn't incorporate a radial element (i.e. only seen clearly from directly, not obliquely behind) that could be a problem.

The "viewed obliquely whilst lying on the pavement" aspect was Alan and me. We had sidelamps (marker lamps) within the headlamp reflector and viewed obliquely from "a low level", the front wheels/mudguards obscured the required % view of the lamp lens. Our cure was to fit extra "marker lamps" (in fact, Royal Enfield nacelle lights) in front of the indicator nacelles, at the top of the front mudguards. It did trigger "which are the primary marker lamps?" question - the response was "they all are, they come on together and cover all angles".

The advice to check with your local Test Inspector is faultless. If you've asked sensible questions to ensure your build complies, it probably will!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:33 pm 

Hi

May be worth looking at cbs online website and get sva compliant led lights from them, they'd be appropriately marked and prob better quality than trailer lights

There is a massive difference in quality of led's on sale and if poor they don't last long and you can't change them like bulbs

Colin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:07 pm 

Has any one put the rear lights by taking them forwards on the taper of the body till they are 600mm apart so not on the rear at all but with in the rear half of the body

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 pm 

notsmartcar wrote:
Has any one put the rear lights by taking them forwards on the taper of the body till they are 600mm apart so not on the rear at all but with in the rear half of the body

That's what Mark Grinnall has done with his later 3 wheeler cars. The lights are frenched into the lower rear panels about 18 inches forward of the rear. Looks great. Google Grinnall Scorpion for photos.

Colin

Building Hopper No 289

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 pm 

Thanks for that one
Isee the blackjack zero is the same and our own blackjack avion is the same so I'm moving my own build back lights forwards so was curious to see if any pembleton builders had done it before