Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:29 pm 

Hi,
I'm about halfway through my build.
I can't help but worry. Surely SVA/MSVA inspectors know that the shopping trolley bodged onto the front of a home-built lightweight presented for inspection will 'fall off' the next day and will not be put back.
Do we really have to play this game? I know the answer is 'yes' and I know this is just another of the challenges we overcome.
I truly hope that MOT inspection manuals continue to assume mass-produced type-approved vehicles as the subject long into the future. If not, we would have to get the shopping trolley out of the shed every 12 months.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:39 am 

The MSVA manual is rather inconsistent. I noticed that in the IVA manual, finning on air cooled engines was exempt. But in the MSVA manual this isn't mentioned. If it were exempt, with a bit of fettling I reckon the Guzzi engine used in my build would have passed without a guard. But in the end I decided not to risk it.

In any case, any of the examiners worth their salt, only use the MSVA manual as guidelines. They are more interested in the general quality of the build. Of course there are exceptions and you can be unlucky and get an examiner that follows the rules to the letter so better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers, Robin

#335 Silvermachine
Small block 750 Moto Guzzi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 am 

I had the same thought about an engine guard bolted on just to get through the MSVA and had a go at making one which could stay on the car.

I have used the donor car grille mounted on a tubular frame work as photos.
I am quite happy with result except that I used 10mm copper for the frame. I was given 3m of it and it is easy to bend and make soldered joints but found I had to buy another 3m to complete it. At current prices there is a about £50 of copper there !
Steel would be harder to form and need welding but would be cheaper and stronger.
David

Attachments:
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG [ 2.07 MiB | Viewed 992 times ]
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 992 times ]