Pembleton enthusiasts forum - website: www.thepembleton.org.uk

We're an informal group sharing a common interest in this Citroen 2CV based car. People organise various activities with the main objective of having fun! Do look at our website for more information.
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:32 pm 

Hi

I made up some small 'extensions' to the top outer edge of the mudguard and riveted these on to ensure that on the vertical test the wheel centre wasn't sticking out
This looked neat and to be honest I've left them on

Colin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:20 pm 

Kevin,
it's not the hubcaps that were being protected, but the set of new wheel rims & tyres... ;)

notsmartcar wrote:
I think I would chance my hub caps being knicked then have to deal with a button head and Allen keys in the dark in the rain changing a wheel :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:24 am 

Ahh the Liverpool jokes come to mind.
I see on eBay you can buy the "special sockets" that can remove security wheel nuts I only hope crooks don't get to hear about them,that button nut will fox them though mind you a hot corsa on 2cv wheels would be interesting to see going round bends :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:49 am 

For the price of12 nut covers from CBS and peace of mind, I would go for that option. MSVA is stressful at the best of times, one less thing to worry about

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:11 pm 

My Brooklands got through the MSVA a couple of weeks ago. I was told that I didn't need a spare wheel for the test and rather than hub caps I used plastic nut covers from Car Builder Solutions on the wheel nuts.

Philip Waring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:34 am 

I used plastic nut covers on the standard 2CV wheels, had no comment about rims and the car got through the MSVA. The examiner told me that I didn't need mudguards or a spare wheel for the test. Leaving these off made quite a difference in the weight.

Philip Waring

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:51 pm 

Hi

As I recall the regs expect the wheel to be 'within' a vertical drop from the body, I got all within this (albeit a close thing) but the hub caps came outside this - so I made a couple of 'ears' for the mudguard to cover that, I think they looked ok

There was no issue with the 2cv hub cap nuts which are this and in a recess, but ken's option looks safer for the test

Colin